There is nothing wrong with traveling like a tourist but I found out that is way more exiting to do it like a traveler, therefore I have identified seven characteristics of travelers:
- Learn keywords. When your destination involves different culture and language this point is quite important. Practice some keywords in the foreign language such as “hello” and “thanks” there are many translation tools in the internet. I like Google translate because you can hear the pronunciation. I even recommend watching a movie in the foreign language so you get familiar with it. People will be more welcoming because you have the empathy and effort to speak in their language.
- Search for manners. Humans not only speak with their voice we speak with our body and in other countries some expressions can be offensive. For instance burping after eating is offensive in the U.S. and most countries when in Japan is a nice gesture because you are expressing that you are pleased with the food they have served.
- Where to stay. Sites like Airbnb and HomeAway are becoming more popular not only because you can get a better deal renting a house or an apartment rather than a hotel room but also because you are more susceptible to experience local lifestyle while shopping for gifts and groceries or having a beer at the corner bar.
- Smart packing. Keep your passport handy you are going to need it for everything! We recommend you ArTradition’s passport holder because its design includes pockets for credit cards, money and other essentials that would make your trip easier. The design is also chic and fun so it would fit for any occasion.
- Become a food reporter. Eat the signature dishes in a fancy place but also in the food markets, food trucks, etc. a traveler always asks the name of the dish and how is it made of. Please DON’T post in Instagram “drinking a sweet wine in Hungary” instead post “Drinking Tokaji” got it?
- Select main places. I understand you need to visit those amazing touristic places but select two or three and really enjoy them. A traveler would study about these places in advance so do your homework and educate yourself before getting there.
- Use local transportation. There are many options available and I recommend combining them, whether you decide using Uber or Subway so far my favorite is the bike, you won’t regret the sight view you’ll get. I would avoid the tourist bus but sometimes it is worth to use it for a day.